Tuesday 26 February 2013

Entrelac

I learned about entrelac in Margaret Radcliffe's fantastic book, The Essential Guide to Color Knitting Techniques. My first experiment with entrelac was this little hat.


I love this technique and decided I needed to take on something more ambitious.  When I heard there was a new baby girl in the neighbourhood I decided to try knitting an entrelac baby dress. I didn't use a pattern for the skirt part of the dress, but I used the collar from the pattern for this Impress Dress. I picked up stitches at the bottom to do the trim. Unfortunately I think I made some questionable colour choices for the dress . . . Luckily it was all knit with accumulated acrylic yarn from my collection (my typical choice for experiments like this one).  The outcome was a bit more avant garde than I bargained for.


I'm not sure I know the baby's mom well enough to judge if she'd think this was something that falls into the "retro-cool" category or the just plain ugly category. What do you think? Is it a knitting fail? In the mean time I've started knitting something more conventional for baby Fiona . . .

2 comments:

  1. I think it just needs boots and a little hat (like the first picture) to go with it. Sometimes the answer to "ugly or cool" is to pop it up with a few more details so there's no question about your dramatic intent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I LOVE this dress! Can you make me one?!

    ReplyDelete