Wednesday 23 October 2013

Cuppow! A Mason Jar Cozy

After knitting the Sassy Stripes socks, there was a nice sized little ball of yarn left over that was perfect for a small crafting project.  I had been thinking about getting a Cuppow lid to turn one of my wide mouth mason jars into a drinking cup.  A jar converted to a travel mug was something begging for a knit cosy. It keeps my tea warmer longer and keeps my hands from burning when the hot liquid is first poured in the jar.

A friend pointed out how handy it would be to have a jar cozy with a handle on it for ease of carrying. With an idea of what I wanted, I followed the basic pattern from Miso Crafty Knits with a few slight modifications.  I started with a ribbed stitch (k2p2) for the first inch and then switched to moss (seed) stitch (k,p,k,p then on the next row knit the purls and purl the knits).  I knit the cosy shorter than suggested and didn't complete all of the decrease rounds so that the cozy went slightly under the jar, but not all the way.  For a "handle" I made a five stitch icord that I sewed onto the top of the cozy.


The handle is perfect as I can just sling it into the crook of my arm when I need to lock the door on the way out of the house or if I need an extra hand to hold onto a kid while crossing the street. I also use it while drinking so if the whole thing slips out of my hand, I won't drop it.


If you live in Saskatoon, you can get a Cuppow at The Better Good on Broadway Avenue.

No comments:

Post a Comment