Tuesday 4 November 2014

Lamp post yarn bombing at the Westmount Public Library



Located across the access road from the Westmount Public Library is one of the vintage style lamp posts that are scattered throughout our adopted neighbourhood. I love them because to me, they're so Narnia-esque. Because of this, I decided the lamp post, (that also functions as a muster point) outside the library would be perfect for a yarn bomb.



This particular lamp post is easy to overlook because of its location close to the parking lot and a garbage can. A little splash of colour is just what it needed! I decided to experiment with knitting different lace patterns. I used the following patterns; Easy Lace Mesh Scarf, Christmas LaceSpring Lace Scarf, Easy Lace Scarf, Simple Chevron Lace Knit Stitch, ZigZag Lace Scarf, Lace and Eyelets Scarf and Checkboard Lace Scarf. And then, for an extra touch of whimsy, the fairies.


It only took the Westmount Public Security Unit 10 minutes to arrive after I started putting up the yarn bomb. Thankfully, the officer agreed to let me proceed with my project, although he warned me it could be taken down at any time . . . I had a great response from passersby who stopped to chat about what I was doing.


I miss my Saskatoon yarn bomb team, but thankfully I've got a crafty friend here in Montreal that was able to lend a hand!

This is a project I've been working on all fall, and I've worked on it in many places. I discovered one is guaranteed a quizzical look when answering the question, "What are you working on?" with, "It's a lamp post cosy!".

So to lamp post cosy knitters everywhere - this one's for you.

1 comment: